Saturday, August 24, 2013


Devine Guidance

And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will show to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever

 Exodus 14:13 (KJV)

 
I remember reading these words at a time when I felt like I was in extraordinary difficulties.  I felt helpless; I could not go forward, or back, and felt I was shut in on either side with no visible means of escape, just like those Israelites at the Red Sea. What was I to do I didn’t know.  As I read Moses’ instruction to the people, I decided that although I was in a scary position I would not be afraid, but would stand still until the Lord freed me of my dilemma.  In the meantime, many opposing voices goaded my soul.  One whispered, “Give the Christian way up and quit.”  Another prompted, “you cannot live the Christian life, it is too difficult for the likes of you.” Another pushed “Get up–to-date; people don’t live by those old-fashioned ways anymore!Then, an inpatient spirit shouted, “Arouse yourself: do something.  To stand still and wait, is sheer stupidity!” And finally a presumptuous one yelled, “Whatever is before you, march into it and expect a miracle!”

But, whatever Satan and his evil cronies may urge upon a person, a child of God can’t follow it. His official sanction is for his people to go from the strength to strength he provides, and that is the way his people should go letting nothing turn them from that course. So, what if for a while you are called to stand still, take it as an opportunity to renew your strength for some greater progress at the right time.  That’s why, God would have us stand still, put on cheerful face, be courageous, and even in our worst times, rejoice and trust in his love and faithfulness.

It pays to wait on the Lord. He will not only do something, but will do whatever is needed to put space between us and our tight spot. A person of faith in God  doesn’t listen to the wicked spirits; it hears God say, “Stand still,” and immovable as a rock stands, and waits cheerfully and patiently for that same  guiding voice to issue further orders.  It will not be long before God will have the escape arranged and then will direct, (as distinctly as Moses said it to the people of Israel), “Go forward.”

Praise: The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalms 27:1 (KJV)

Promise: For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.  (Isaiah 41:13 (KJV)

Prayer: O LORD, be gracious unto us; we have waited for thee: be thou their arm every morning, our salvation also in the time of trouble.  Isaiah 33:2 (KJV)

 

 

 

No comments: